Do I Really Need to Wax My Chevrolet?
While most Chevrolet owners view waxing the exterior of their vehicle as a task reserved for special occasions. Even folks that are meticulous with regard to maintaining their Chevy mechanically, often consider waxing as less important. The specialists at Everett Chevrolet Service will agree that neglecting your car’s exterior will not cause a mechanical failure, it will most certainly affect the resale value of your vehicle.
Have you noticed how dull a car’s paint can get without the protection of waxing? This is caused by a chemical reaction call oxidation. When oxygen molecules from air react with, or oxidize, the free radicals in the paint which ‘burns’ the finish. Regular waxing also protects your Chevrolet from:
- Inclement weather – wind, rain, hail, snow
- Ultraviolet rays from the sun
- Bird droppings
- Tree sap and pollen
There are numerous conditions that will ruin your car’s mirror finish, and the best protection is with regular waxing.
The type wax you choose to protect your car with will determine how often reapplication is required.
- Traditional Paste Waxes – manufacturer’s recommend reapplication every 45 days.
- Synthetic Waxes – manufacturers claim up to 1 year of protection
Other considerations are personal preference and storage facilities. To keep your Chevrolet show-room shiny, you may find that wax needs to be applied once a month. On the other hand, if your car is garage kept, you will likely be able to go longer periods of time between wax applications.
There are a couple of quick tests you can do yourself to determine whether it’s time to wax your Chevrolet:
- Water Behavior – if water beads on the surface of your car, the wax is still working; should the water form sheets, however, it’s time to have your Chevy waxed.
- Cloth Test – fold a clean cotton cloth several times to form a thick pad about the size of your hand. On your just washed car, place the folded cotton cloth on the surface and apply pressure with your hand while twisting the cloth in a clockwise, then a counter-clockwise manner. If the cloth squeaks, it’s time to wax your Chevrolet.
When you have determined that your Chevrolet needs to be Serviced for routine maintenance, give the professionals at Carson Cars Everett Chevrolet Service a call!